- JAZZ – traditional or commercial styles of up-tempo high energy Jazz.
- TAP – any style of Slow, Waltz, Ensemble, Straight or Speed tap accepted; no backing tap sounds allowed.
- BALLET – traditional Classical Ballet, Neo-Classical and Demi-Character accepted. Pointe only 12yrs & above.
- LYRICAL – expressive, yet subtle and dynamic technical dance focussed on conveying musicality & emotion.
- CONTEMPORARY – creative dance; can be abstract, not reliant on narrative, unpredictable, dynamic.
- HIP HOP – street dance styles primarily performed to hip-hop music or evolved as part of hip-hop culture.
- ENTERTAINMENT – the following styles will be accepted: Song & Dance, Musical Theatre, Acro-Dance*, Bollywood, World Dance as well as Cabaret & Broadway Jazz.
NB: Dance styles where a category is already offered e.g. ‘Contemporary’, are no longer eligible to compete in ‘Entertainment’ from 2017 season. Pre-recording of student voices is allowed – no microphones provided. *Acro-dance must have a strong dance element rather than tricks only.
- POP VOCAL – popular songs from any era that have charted well. Ballad or up-tempo accepted. No backing vocals.
- VARIETY VOCAL – songs from any other genre including but not limited to Musical Theatre, Jazz, Classical etc. No backing vocals allowed for Vocal-only sections
NB – Radio microphone provided for live performances – a microphone stand is optional.