Firstly please let us say that we are thinking of you all and sending you our love and prayers for your health and wellbeing at this time.
Like all of you, we are doing our absolute best to navigate this extreme situation as best we can and working with venue managers to provide alternate dates for our events affected by the current COVID-19 outbreak and consequent travel, event, business, lifestyle and social gathering restrictions. We are committed to supporting the Dance Industry as best we can and are happy to extend as much flexibility as possible to our valued studio directors and dance families.
New event dates are currently being assessed for later in the year in your region, however as there is much uncertainty around the length of time that restrictions will remain in place, we are being asked to remain flexible by venues.
Anyone who has entered this region’s Live Event will receive an individual email from us with options going forward.
What this will mean for you RIGHT NOW in the case that your DLU event has been postponed is:
- You can either roll forward your entries to a newly scheduled dates for DLU in your region once they are confirmed;
- OR, you can transfer your entries to an Online Heat;
- OR, you can count your regional entry fees as payment for Nationals qualification(this season only without having to actually perform)
Once new dates for your DLU event have been established later in the year, if you are unable to attend the new scheduled dates, and none of the above options suit you, we will provide you with a DLU Credit to the value of your entry fees which will last all the way through to December 31st, 2021. This option will only be available once new dates are established due to the ongoing uncertainty and daily change of protocols which are beyond our control.